Ergebnis der Suche (2)
Alle Beiträge von: JensenBreck
Thema: Reading material for Biochemistry   Forum: Chemie, Biochemie      Beitrag anzeigen
JensenBreck      

18.11.2017, 06:00
Mitglied seit 11/2017     2 Beiträge
Betreff: Reading material for Biochemistry
Hello all,

I have just done AS levels and am moving to A levels next year. I have decided I want to study biochemistry at university. I would like to get a feel for the subject and make sure it is something I would be interested in by perhaps reading a book. The courses I have looked at are Biochemistry and Genetics. I was wondering what some good biochemistry books would be that I could read, that would take you from very basic biochemistry (like i have done so far in AS e.g the very basics in protein structure), to a slightly more advanced level. The aim is to get a feel for it, ensure it is something I find interesting and maybe even make me more comfortable and aid my understanding for when I come to university.

The problem I've had is that alot of the books are very large and complicated and it appears a fair amount of backround knowledge is required. I'm looking for something to give me that backround knowledge. A few suggestions for reading material I can do over this summer before applying.

Thank you for any help or advice
Dieser Beitrag wurde 1 mal verändert, zuletzt am 18.11.2017, 15:34 von admin
Thema: Organic Chemistry mechanisms   Forum: Chemie, Organische Chemie      Beitrag anzeigen
JensenBreck      

18.11.2017, 06:03
Mitglied seit 11/2017     2 Beiträge
Betreff: Organic Chemistry mechanisms
Hello,

I'm having a great deal of trouble wrapping my head around organic chem mechanisms. It's repeated throughout the course work that memorizing individual reactions isn't so helpful (or at all practical) as understanding the underlying mechanisms and being able to generally apply them to figure out reaction outcomes.
If we learn all of the generalized reactions, for example for Alkanes 1) electrophilic addition, 2) halohydrin formation, 3) addition of HX ect is this what you're referring to as the general underlying principals or is even more basic then that? If so what are these principles and what actually needs memorizing?

I had a look at some of the organic chem flash cards you provided and wasn't at all sure how we were meant to arrive know any of it other then by memorization?

Thanks,
Dieser Beitrag wurde 1 mal verändert, zuletzt am 18.11.2017, 15:34 von admin
Gehe zu Forum